Not that this is a bad thing. My mom was the ultimate networker. She was in real estate and seemingly knew everyone in town. If, per chance, we were out and she didn't know a person... within minutes she was well acquainted with every one's name, background, favorite hobby, etc. Growing up watching this, I thought this was just part of her job. Now that has been close to 20 years since she retired, two long distance moves to new towns, and you still can't get her on the phone during the afternoon due to this or that bridge game -- I realize now that she was/is just a social butterfly.
Back to me.
Today I had a mission. There is a "meat sale" and "mushroom sale" every Friday on Penn State's campus. They are not advertised, but people have usually 'heard' of them. So with vague directions (such as: "the building across from the stadium" or the "building past the turf fields"), I set out to check it out.
Arriving at the grey building across from the stadium, I walked into the unmarked door to find a line 25 persons deep at the Meat Market. Forty-five minutes later I had the complete low down from the people in line with me. "The cost is only slightly cheaper, but the quality is excellent". "You can't pass up the Maple Sausage." "Have you tried the ham?" "I have a great crock pot recipe for ....."
Not only did I have my meat order for the next month or two (even though this is a weekly sale), I had a person who was going to lead me to the mushroom sale, a promise for the outstanding 'pineapple stuffing' recipe to go with all ham dishes, a new market to check out in Bellville (don't even know where that is) and about 10 retirees who would "see you next week!"
After following Pineapple Stuffing Mary to the mushroom building, I went to purchase my first lot of button mushrooms. They only come in 10 POUND boxes. Just for reference, at the grocery store you usually get a few ounces. That's okay, I had lined up a few friends to share them with. I was going to be a Mushroom Distributor.
The three people running this show out of a 8x8 room in a warehouse, told me all about the coming weeks when crimini and portobellas will be in. Yummy! In my excitement to tell them about my first experience with the meat sale, they asked if I was aware of the egg and chicken sale. WHAT???? I had no idea.
Yup, it appears that on Thursdays (damn it, missed it by a day!) you can get 2.5 dozen eggs for pennies an egg. I love eggs! After getting detailed directions from the mushroom people ("go out of here and turn left. It's the poultry building on the left." Okay, there are 10 buildings with POULTRY on them on the left.), I walked into what looked like the main door. This was the entrance to the Poultry Manager (always go to the top!). He gave me better directions and told me the insider info to get there before it opens. "Yesterday, it was insane. The eggs were bought out in a few minutes." What is this? U2 tickets?
As soon as I walked into the house with my proud purchase of fungi and meat, the phone rang. Good ole' Pineapple Stuffing Mary. She said hello and then, "Jean, this is Mary who you met at the Meat Market. I have your recipe, dear. Do you have some paper?"
Thanks Mom!!! You have taught me countless things over my life that I treasure everyday. I am happy to know that it was you who turned me into the social butterfly that I am today. Without this skill, how would I have found out about the eggs?
6 comments:
You are welcome. Your story reminds me of the days when I was in a food coop.I would come home with so many fresh vetgs I didn't think we would eat them all, but they were so cheap. We did eat them all. Just remember most people want to help others as long as it doesn't cost them anything. Just keep on talking, but listen too.
I've got to check out this sale, I always drive by but never stop! Maybe this week will be the week.
You are so funny! I actually just heard about the mushroom sale from Susie at Bunco on Monday. I will avoid that like the plague, because I think they are like chewing on pencil erasers, but the meat sale . . .
WHAT?!?! You found THE chicken place???!! We've been trying to find that place for YEARS now. Years. You have to be "on the list" to get the chicken meat, but apparently is is also only about 10 cents per pound. We have to talk, my friend.
can you buy me a chicken?
oh...and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the Bellville market!
Post a Comment