Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First day of First Grade!

"It's the MOST wonderful time of the year!!!"

Tuesday was Alexander's first day and, again this year, I am not sure who is more excited: him or me. On Monday, the big boy packed his backpack with school supplies and discussed with me what he wanted to pack for lunch. We went to the pool for the entire afternoon with friends and then that evening we joined other friends at DQ for a celebratory "Last night of summer ice cream". Great way to finish up a very busy and very fun summer.

When I went to kiss Alexander goodnight, we had the following conversation:
Me: "You are going to have SOOOO much fun tomorrow at school. I am so excited for you!"
Alex: "Yeah"
Me: "But don't have too much fun.... I mean, learn some too. Learn a lot and then have fun. Okay?"
Alex: "I don't know, Mommy. {pause} I just don't know what the teachers have in mind. I'll have to see."

That boy cracks me up on a daily basis. I just love those conversations!
Here he is packed up, proud and ready for the bus stop.



Now with his cowgirl sister and striking his now-common, "AWESOME!" pose.




Arriving home that afternoon, he gave a spotty, yet completely positive, description of the first day. My last interrogation question was "So, is your teacher FUN?" I got a huge smile and a "Yes! Mommy!"

2 comments:

Ann M said...

Great pictures! How did they get so big? I'm glad he had a great first day!

Unknown said...

Clara would have loved this. Those two beautiful children are getting so big. It is wonderful how much they love each other. Mom