For me, I was excited that my family was coming to visit. Having my mom, dad, two sisters, brother-in-law, and nephew all here in the house was wonderful. Growing up with a large family, I really feel complete when there are many people in the house with messes everywhere and the next meal being prepared as the last meal is still being cleaned up. It just seems right.
On Saturday, Zack left at the crack of dawn to travel 3 hours south to participate in an Adventure Race with a friend. They spent 4 hours and 36 minutes mountain biking, trail running, orienteering, and canoeing in drenching rain and mud. Sounds awesome! ;-)
Meanwhile, my brother-in-law left at the crack of dawn too to go and wade in cold rivers... in the drenching rain... for 10 hours of fly fishing on the first day of trout. He came back with a smile on his face and stories of many fish caught, so I guess he had a great day too.
The ladies and the three kids managed to head out to see a watercolor exhibit at the Penn State HUB (student union building) and some tropical fish. The paintings were amazing, but the kids enjoyed spotting Nemo and Dori the most.
Then came Sunday -- the big church day. If any of you readers out there are Catholic or similar, you will know that Palm Sunday is the longest service in the year. Longer than Christmas or Easter. After getting everyone there in time, we settled in and waited for the notable moment that Alex received his wafer and sips of wine.
He was so excited. When the pastor read the prayer that welcomes all to come up for communion, Alex threw his hands up in the air -- touchdown style -- and whispered to me "FINALLY!" With a grin ear to ear and hands open and in receiving mode, he waited for his turn. The wafer went down fine. Then he sipped the mini shot glass of wine. One sip: no reaction. The second sip: sour face. I leaned down and said, "you have to finish it". He shot back the last drip with that face reminiscent of the face he has when trying asparagus or pea soup.
Once back in the pew, he turns to me to say, "Mommy, at first the wine was okay, but then it wasn't. I guess I will just have to get used to it." I smiled and nodded. Although, in the back on my mind I thought, "just wait until you taste scotch." HA!
Proud Grandparents and Alexander
Back at the house, we all enjoyed a quick lunch, cake and presents before the visitors headed back to their homes and we went to the two soccer practices. 
This was the tiniest cake ever!! I kept calling it the "cupcake". Although it managed to feed everyone, plus seconds to those who wanted it, and still had two pieces left over. Crazy!
It was a hectic weekend, but a wonderful one too. While I miss my family already, it is nice to have the house back to calm and to be able to walk around in my undies again. Was that too much information? Oh, well, you know it's true.
4 comments:
I had a fantastic weekend in Happy Valley. Jean, you are a great hostess. What great Godchildren I have!
You made no mention of you wearing a dress to church for this fine occasion! You should do it more often=) Congrats Alex!
What a beautiful family! Congradulations Alex! Nice Smile CJ! Aunt Ronece
Grandma and Pop Pop had a wonderful time and it means a lot to us that the grandchildren are participating in a religus family and church community. Alex is such a sweet caring child. It is so important to both of us to share in the family activities. Great posting Jean. Mom
Post a Comment