Thursday, January 21, 2010

Growing up too fast.

Walking to the bus stop the other day, I have the following conversation:

Alexander: Valentine's Day is coming soon, you know.
Me: Sure do. What is Valentine's day?
Alexander: It's when you make cards and stuff for people. Remember when Daddy and I made you that one last time?
Me: Oh, yes. I love it.
Alexander: But, you know what? Easter is coming soon too. I love Easter!
Me: Why is that?
Alexander: Jelly beans!!!
Me: Oh, yes, of course. :-)
Alexander: Mommy? Is the Easter bunny real? Or just a man in a costume?

[WHAT? How does a 5 year old already question real and fake? This is too soon!!! Zack and I have always said that if the kids ask a direct question we will not lie to them. Case in point, Alexander told us that a kid informed him that eating crust, in fact, does not help you whistle. We then explained that it was a little old wives tale that some people believed but that technically it doesn't effect your whistling abilities. However, as we were going to bed the other night and he asked us if Martin Luther King, Jr. died of old age, we didn't introduce the topic of assassination -- side stepped that one for the time being. So now what do I say about this one?]

Me: Well, the ones you see at the mall or around town are men dressed in costumes. But as for the real Easter Bunny, I am not sure since the real Easter Bunny comes when I am sleeping and I have never seen him.
Alexander: Maybe we should stay up really late and see if we can get a glimpse of him.
Me: We could try, but I get really sleepy and I think he is pretty fast.
Alexander: Yeah, cause bunnies sometimes come out at night to get food...

Then the bus arrived. Thank goodness, situation averted for now. Not sure I can handle such deep thoughts and situations before my second cup of coffee in the morning. Whoosh.

3 comments:

Ann M said...

That little man is so insightful! Please squeeze him for me this afternoon. Tell him Aunt Ann wants him to stop growing up so fast!

Unknown said...

How beautiful that you have the time to share with your children. You are taking my advice answer the question but don't elaborate. Worked well for me bring up 5 beautiful children.

Amy said...

Wow - you really did almost convey that post to me word for word last night! Yet I'm still here, and I still read the entire thing!