I continue to find it funny that I have had more "meetings" of famous people in the middle of central Pennsylvania then I did living in Washington, DC for 20 years. Perhaps when I came to tour Penn State as a high school senior with my parents and met Rusty Wallace (famed NASCAR driver) at a local hotel it was not just a random occurrence, but merely foreshadowing.
In the last three years, I have been able to have conversations (albeit quick ones) with:
1. Ryan Seacrest (American Idol host)

Here I am with Ryan and Maggie (Zack's colleague) at a PSU football game.
2. Todd Palin (Sarah's redneck husband, see earlier post http://nittanyhome.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-betcha.html)

Again, here I am with Maggie and Todd at a PSU football game.
3. Franco Harris (Pittsburgh Steeler and the famed Immaculate Reception)
Okay, I don't have a photo op with Franco. I just chatted with him in an elevator.. on the way up to watch a PSU football game. But the photo below made me laugh when I googled for a image of Franco. In the photo there are three people I have met while here in Happy Valley: Barack Obama, Sen. Casey, and Franco Harris. Too bad Bettis hasn't had the opportunity to meet me yet!! ;-)and now,
4. President of the United States of America Barack Obama.
While POTUS was in Happy Valley giving a speech, Zack and I had the chance to sit up front and meet him on the 'rope-line' after his speech. Here's what went down.
Me thinking: {here he comes. what am i going to say? i'm between to state legislators who are bending his ear about issues/politics. should i mention i didn't vote for him? no, bad form. hmmmmm. ruth really likes him. what would she say?}
Me: Mr. President, my sister would just love it if I could give you a kiss on the cheek. May I?
POTUS: SURE!
Me: *smack*
Me: HA!!
Him: Hee-hee. (gives side hug)
And that was it. Not much substance, but still pretty cool to do. No one else got kisses on that rope line. So perhaps it was just Michelle and I who gave him kisses that day. Got to wonder.
Here's the best part of all of these chance-encounters... Zack. If it wasn't for him and his hard work, I would never have the chance to do any of these things. I like to joke that the harder he works, the luckier I get.
He simply shakes his head and smiles when I do these crazy things. Thanks Zack! Thanks for working hard and simply smiling at your crazy wife being a complete goof in front of people who get their name in the papers. Love you!


5 comments:
You are amazing, Jean! Love this post!!! :)
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! I especially love the youngest birthday girl's dress for the occasion=)
I thought I notice you kissed him even from afar.
Also, there is one sentence in the blog that deserves this: "that's what she said!"
adam
LOVE the pictures - especially the one that you highlighted - all the boy cousins and CJ. What a great group of boys to enjoy CJ's moment of glory with all of her frilliness!
Thats my daughter. Love you and Zack is the best. Mom
Post a Comment