Yesterday was Alexander's last day of First Grade. While most kids were counting down the minutes until the half-day was dismissed and summer officially began, my guy went off to school sad. The night before, he had gotten terribly upset thinking about First Grade coming to an end. He said he was really going to miss it. He is sensitive and thoughtful and I love those traits. But a seven year old boy crying over the end of school? A little crazy, right?
When he got off the bus, Zack and I met him with our own quirky rendition of Alice Cooper's "SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!!" He gave us a shy smile and then ripped open his bag to show us his surprise. He handed us a certificate and then told us this story....
Alexander: "I got a Citizenship Certificate at school today!"
Us: "Wow!!! That is wonderful!! Congratulations!"
Alexander: "Thanks."
Me: "Did everyone get one today?"
Alexander: "No, just Madison and me. The teacher had to decide what one boy and girl from each class got it."
Us: "AWESOME! That is so exciting"
Alexander: "Yeah."
A little later on...
Alexander: "Ya know, when I went to get the award, I had to hold my breath."
Us: "Why?"
Alexander: "I didn't know who they would call and have to go up on stage"
Us: "WAIT A MINUTE!!! Did your teacher give this to you in class?"
Alexander: "No, the whole school was in the general assembly and Mrs Z. (the Principal) called the kids up on stage."
Here my guy who shies away from any and all spotlight attention, who hates getting on stage with the class to perform, and was sad going to school today was singled out for being a good kid. Talk about a proud parent day!!
1 comment:
Way to go Alexander! I'm proud of you for getting the award and bravely going up on stage!
Post a Comment