Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Fun Continues

There will be no rest for our family this summer -- just how we like it. Given that we are holed up inside for far too long in this Happy Valley cold winter wonderland, we certainly try to fit EVERYTHING in during the beautiful summer days.

The day after returning from the Bay, we welcomed our good friends from Baltimore for the July 4th weekend. Sure, most people take a few days to catch up on laundry and bills, but we jump right into more fun with friends!! They arrived on Saturday and we hung out and then headed up to the Creamery on campus for dessert. But apparently so did everyone else who was in town. After grabbing a few gallons of deliciousness, we headed back home. We needed to get everyone to bed early, since Zack, Laura and I had to be up by 5AM to race.

Sunday morning, bright and early, the three of us headed to campus for the Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon. This is Laura and my second tri, but Zack was on his maiden voyage. Thankfully we were all put into the same race start time (heat or wave) which made the competition far more fun. For me it was awesome to be able to see and "race" with people I knew. Especially when I got to pass Zack in the lap lane twice and after he caught up to me on the bike route, fly past him on a downhill.... we won't mention his subsequent pass on the next uphill. It's my post and I only need to say I want!! ;-)

Excuses aside (my lack of training and bronchitis 2 weeks prior to the race), Zack and Laura both bested me. Zack came in 9 minutes faster then I did. I guess I have my motivation for next year.


Pre-race smiles!


Laura sprinting for the finish line without worry to her wardrobe malfunction!

At least someone was just going out when I was returning. I'm not last!


Post-race pic. Sweaty, but still smiling... or is that more of a smirk?

Later that day, we hosted a memorable Kickball game in the yard. All the kids and moms against the two Dads. I can't believe how much fun kickball is. I highly recommend it. Afterwards, we headed out to the minor league baseball game (The Spikes). We had amazing seats right behind home plate. Everyone had a great time. In typical CJ fashion, she had her picture taken with the mascot, Ike the Spike, withing moments of arrival.


But she set the bar a bit higher close to the 6th inning. While I was in line with Alex and CJ to grab some Dippin' Dots (because I am such a cool Mom), this promotion person dressed in country clothes with a mascot cow came out of a door behind us. I asked, "Wow, who are you?" She replied, "I'm Mrs. Cotton-Eyed Joe -- we are going to go dance on the field." "Do you want some kids to dance with you??" I quickly retorted. "OF COURSE!" said Mrs. Cotton-Eyed.

CJ practically jumped into the woman's arms to follow her, while I had to drag Alex down the back corridor to the field entrance. After I calmed his nerves by telling him he did not have to go dance, we enjoyed CJ's performance. Just another warm summer Sunday night at the ball game -- with CJ on the field in her purple, velvet dress. HA!



Alex did get to high-five some baseball players in the tunnel, so it was slightly cool for him too. All of the kids had fun with the post-game fireworks and getting to run the bases after that!!

CJ, Wrenny, Van Pelt, and Alex


On to Monday the 4th. We packed the day full of a hike in the morning for the dogs (It was Ripley's 8th Birthday. Oh, she is getting so mature.), then another brutal game of kickball family vs. family, and then over to the 4th Fest events. The kids rode some carny-rides, had faces painted, ate funnel cake while watching sky divers fall over us with American Flags attached to their feet, and then tailgated until the fireworks began. And what a grand spectacle it was!

Fun weekend indeed, but Zack and I were simply exhausted on Tuesday evening. Which is why Zack was so perplexed as to why I decided to prune our shrubs and plants that afternoon and accidentally snip my finger with the pruning sheer. Nothing like waiting in Urgent Care to get two stitches to end my day.


Needless to say that when this past weekend rolled around, we were both so happy to have "nothing planned". Except for carting CJ to two birthday parties, helping a friend try to get their boat to float AND steer, and housework/lawn care that had been neglected for two weeks. You know, just the usual.

2 comments:

Ann M said...

Great post. I love the video! All princesses should wear purple velvet to a ball game! :)

Megan said...

I love her attire for a ball game! PS-I know the lady sitting next to Alex in the one picture-she's a good friend =)

Great post and good job on the tri!