Monday, October 3, 2011

Kids are funny.

Two conversations this weekend really made me stop, laugh, and appreciate how funny the kids can be. It has also made Zack and I realize that the kids look at the same thing with very different eyes and have a curiously, unique perspective. Hopefully we will continue to cherish it.

Alex
A new Crackel Barrel opened in State College months ago and Zack has really wanted to try it out. This weekend he finally got his wish and we all went to the 'Barrel. The kids love new restaurants and were overjoyed that we were going out. 
We were seated near a front window and the kids were captivated by all the decor hanging about the room (antiques, a deer head, old signs, old cans of beans, etc.). Then Alex looked out the front window to the porch and rocking chairs. He turned to me and said...
Alex: Mom, see that barrel outside?
Me: Yes. 
Alex: I BET  it has crackers in it! HA HA AH HA!

CJ
Took the dog for a long walk in the rain on Saturday morning with CJ. Now, CJ isn't a fast walker. She is more of a shuffler than a walker. Since our walking pace was slow (understatement), we had plenty of time to chit chat. 
CJ was telling me how most of her friends can bike very far distances. In fact her "magical" friend Rosy can go "like 8 miles". Rosy is a staple in CJ's stories. While Rosy is definitely an imaginary friend, I love that CJ calls her "her magical friend, Rosy". 
Then she continued that her other friend, Halloween, can ride his bike "12 miles!" I was quite impressed and curious about this new friend.
Me: CJ, why do they call him Halloween?
CJ: Because that is when his birthday is.
Me: Oh. That makes sense.
CJ: You know what he wears EVERY halloween as his costume?
Me: No. What?
CJ: A birthday cake.

Of course he does. That cracked me up so much that when we returned home and she found herself drawing pictures, I commissioned her to make one just for me. I asked her to draw a picture of her magical friend Halloween, so I could see what he looks like. This is what she made:

Halloween trick or treating on his birthday. 
CJ: October 1, 2011

No comments: