Monday, July 20, 2009

Garden 2009... Carrots anyone?

The bounty is non-stop. I think I may have to invest in that fancy food saver that Paul is always raving about! This weekend (after returning from Pittsburgh) we went to tend to the garden. We tied up the tomatos (lots of green ones!!!), weeded where the new pea sprouts are coming up, harvested some lettuce, pulled a few heads of broccoli, and then picked a few summer squash and zucchinis (see picture1 below)


Then we decided to checked on the carrots and potatoes. Really how long are they suppose to grow?

TADA!!!

We were shocked! What the hell are we going to do with all these carrots? Plus we have some more growing for a 'late season' harvest. I am not sure that the kids will eat that many crunchy or sauteed carrots. I proposed to them that they eat them for breakfast; cut up with milk. CJ was in -- but Alexander called my bluff.

Since we had success with the one root vegetable, we checked on the potatoes! WOO-HOO!! We made great big potatoes! These are just the three feet of the 20 foot row of this crop. So if you have any great potato and carrot recipes --- SEND THEM TO US!


Here is my funny moment of the day. Once this was pulled up, I just had to laugh. But then again, my mind always goes to the gutter first and foremost.

5 comments:

Susie PSU said...

I am quite simply amazed by your produce!! You've got such a green thumb, not to mention a ton of rain to help you along. I would LOVE to come eat your food. :-)

Megan said...

Nice garden-that's awesome! I love the 'three-legged' carrot :)

Ann M said...

Well done guys! The carrots look yummy. I'll dig up my vegetable lazagna recipe. You use carrots in the sauce instead of meat. Can we have carrots for dinner on 8/7, please? :)

Unknown said...

I wish we lived closer. The produce looks great. I'm surprised that your root vetg. did so well. Everyone who I knew who tried to grow carrots never had a harvast, they never grew. I will look up some receipes.

TerraD said...

That is amazing, Jean! How big is your garden?