Saturday, August 1, 2009

Garden 2009... You say potaTOE, I say potaTAH.

Another weekend spent in the garden. Our main task on Saturday was to pick the row of potatoes. We were very excited to see how this first year crop would do. Thankfully, it was extremely bountiful!!


Here's the harvest and the guard. We estimate that we have about 20 to 25 pounds of delicious red potatoes!


It was quite the assembly line to clean them off. The kids were a huge help... mostly (I think) because it involved the hose.


Here's a good shot of the garden at-present. You can see the orange bucket full of potatoes.


Ripley spends most of her time in the zucchini and squash plants. We have no idea why, but she is keeping it free from critters and bunny thieves.


Our first bell pepper -- and it's PURPLE. Too cool. Oh... and some more squash and zucchini. We pull about that many every two to three days.


Row of lettuce. Yummy!


Here are the kids posing in front of "their garden". All of the sunflowers standing tall behind them to the pretty blue border flowers were carefully planted by them from seed. The umbrellas were for "shade" -- little Miss Diva thought it was too sunny out. HA!

Thanks to all who sent Carrot recipes. Now I need some potato recipes too!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can not believe your harvast. Put your potatoes in a cool place in the basement and they will keep. The Knights were here and I showed them your Blog, and they were very impressed. Next year you will have to set up a vetg. stand. The kids with the umbrellas are to cute.

Ann M said...

Potato pancakes! Yum! Ham and scalloped potatoes, sheppard's pie, Mrs. Licking's potatoes, homemade french fries...okay now I've overdosed on carbs. What a great harvest. Can I request a garden fresh salad for Friday night dinner please?!!!