Monday, August 10, 2009

Maine

We left on Saturday morning in the truck stuffed with two kids, one dog, a favorite Aunt, and two crazy parents (that would be Zack and I). According to multiple information sources, the ride was to take close to 11 or 12 hours. Fine. We can do that. We survived the 12 hour journey to Charleston, South Carolina.

When we drove onto the island in Maine... FOURTEEN hours later, we were relieved. The kids did really well for such a strenuous trek (even CJ's two vomiting episodes). Our good humor and decision to get out of the traffic in Massachusetts, afforded us a unique and less traveled route through the countryside of New England. We also discovered that Massachusetts rhymes with ASS-achusetts.

So for the remaining six days in the beauty of Mt. Desert Island, ME, I am determined to come up with 14 things that make this vacation superb.

Day One (Sunday):
1. Gorgeous sun and a high of 76 with zero humidity. Aunt Ann (from the swamp land of DC and who can't fathom a day with out humidity) was in heaven.
2. Hiking Bass Harbor Lighthouse and the Wonder Trail.
3. Seeing the kids picking and playing with the snails in the tidal pools
4. Lunch -- delicious haddock sandwich on the cove
5. Ice Cream. I love ice cream. I love ice cream on vacation. Really, I love ice cream.
6. Hot tubbing with the kids.
7. Our afternoon walk with the kids. We walked down the street to find pretty New England homes on the waterfront, some horses to feed, and a nice local who told us about a special beach to check out and then an alternate way to walk home on the rocky waterfront. It was really cool.
8. Should I count the multiple things on the walk as separate items??
9. LOBSTER on the docks in Southwest Harbor.
10. Pinot Grigio with my LOBSTER on the docks in Southwest Harbor.
11. The kids giving lobster a thumbs up!


12. Finding an adorable print at the town's art festival.
13. ...hmmmm. Can't think of 14 today, so let's hope for the best tomorrow.

2 comments:

Maryland Mommy said...

you did all that in just one day!!! Wow!!!

Unknown said...

A good start on a vacation. Can't wait to read 2 and 3. Mom