Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tomato... In loving memory.

Our Tomatoes
Good growers, beautiful fruits.
Feb. 2009 - Aug. 17, 2009

We started with little seeds back in February with seed trays, heating pads, and lots of love. They grew and grew. We transplanted, fertilized, watered, pruned and tied up. The week we left for vacation they looked like this:

The tall row tied up to green stakes. Aren't they healthy and huge? Each plant was heavy with green fruit waiting for some real summer heat to turn them ripe and red. On our week vacation we hoped our return would be met with bushels of juicy red tomatoes.

Before even going inside to the house after 12 hours in the car, we anxiously walked around the house to the garden and found this:


AACKKK!!!!!!!!!!


Upon further review, the tomatoes had full-blown tomato blight.


This is just devastating.




Possibly some prize winning heirloom tomatoes that will never be.

All of our neighbors were stricken with this air-borne disease too. So sad. Last night, we riped out all the plants, fruit and underlying mulch and trashed it. Hopefully it won't come back next year, but there is no guarantee. In fact, I read that the spores can survive in the dirt even the coldest of winters. I will be in mourning for the rest of the summer.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I know, I am bummed as well. I haven't heard of anyone with luck in the tomato department this year!!

Susie PSU said...

OMG That's HORRIBLE!! I had total garden envy, chick. Now, I don't want that yucky spore anywhere near me and my loved ones...

TerraD said...

I was upset for days after reading this post, and now it's hitting our neighborhood. :( I'm not as upset about losing the tomatoes now as I am about the possibility of it happening again next year. The tomatoes are my whole reason for having a garden.