Monday, June 7, 2010

Kill the Wabbits....

I can't tell you how much I dislike rabbits. I know that they are the "cute" species of country wildlife, but off with their heads!

As you know from last year's posts, we take our gardening seriously. When the late blight killed all all of our heirloom tomatoes, I cried. This past February, I vowed to start anew and worked with the seeds in my make-shift greenhouse and cultivated seeds to nice big plants about three feet tall and ready for transplant. We were off to go camping, but the weather was right and the plant was drying out the container daily. Zack and I dug a hole and planted the gorgeous creation in our garden.

Back from camping two days later and those little f**kers, ate all the plants down to the root base.

24 hours later, our rabbit fence was erected. I am sure that the bunch of them are planning some midnight ambush on the fence, which is why I am considering locking Ripley in it overnight. Just kidding. Well, maybe.

In the meantime, here's an update on what we have grown in the 2010 Garden Season:
1. Radishes. Apparently their spiny leaves are a deterrent to rabbits.
2. Sugar Snap peas. Just ate a few yesterday. DELICIOUS!
3. Green peas. The rabbits ate these down to a nub each planting I put in. We will see what happens now.
4. Spinach. Just a few leaves have been consumed by humans. Sure hope those waskly wabbits enjoyed it.
5. Still growing: potatoes, onions, carrots, bell peppers, the new set of tomatos, eggplant and lettuce.

And you know you live in the country when...

Your neighbor tells you that the cherry tree is ready for pickin' and to bring over a bucket. Zack, the kids and I had a blast climbing the ladder and harvesting the tree.

Washing the harvest.


Snack Time!! How cute is Alexander with his legs crossed chewy on a cherry?


Some days, life truly can be just a big bowl of cherries.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The two of you never impressed me as being farmers. Bar Keeps maybe. The fruit and vetges look good. Mom

Ann M said...

You make country life look very appealing!

Julie said...

We will send Bear. He loves wabbits. They're tasty but the hair stays in your teeth forever!