Monday, October 4, 2010

Final Garden Harvest

Two and half weeks ago, we collected the last really ripe tomatoes of the season. After suffering the complete destruction of our tomato plants last year from late blight and losing my early plantings (that I started inside back in February, dagnabit!) to hungry rabbits, I think we did remarkably well. I have oodles of roasted tomato sauce in my freezer and most of our friends are sick of getting deliveries.
This was the bounty from a few weeks ago. I can't describe adequately how delicious a huge slice of tomato with some lettuce and bacon was this year!
Now that the weather was turning cooler, the plants were still producing, but just not ripening. So, we decided to winterize the garden and pull the remaining plants and call it a "growing season". However, we had two bushels of green tomatoes to do something with.
This is Saturday's booty.
My mom had suggested we cellar-ripen the green tomatoes. I thought this was another nutty idea by my mom, but then Zack recalled that his grandfather used to do the same thing. The process consists of wrapping or laying/covering the green fruits in your basement and they will slowly turn red and ripe. Having garden delicious tomatoes through the fall and into early winter -- sounds great! So I am giving it a try.
This is three card tables filled with green tomatoes. I figure that this experiment can go one of two ways: 1. great tomatoes forever, or 2. massive fruit fly infestation.
stay tuned....

1 comment:

Liz Chapman said...

Love the idea of cellar-ripening! So cool!