Thursday, June 4, 2009

Who's Chasing Me? Do they have a gun???

When people used to ask me if I run, that was my standard reply. Run? Jog? Quickly sashay? Oh, no, not me. Every foot that hit the pavement would hurt, I couldn't breathe, and I would question why the HELL I even started this crazy movement.

Then Zack wanted some motivation to get exercising again. Since Ruth (my sister) ran a few 5Ks last year, he contacted HER to find out if she would race with him. Not to be left out (this is a fundamental struggle in my psyche since a very young age. I can't miss out on ANYTHING.), I inserted myself into this family run.

What great motivation! I went to the gym and would slowly increase my distances. Then I would go home and immediately send an email to both Zack and Ruth proclaiming my time and distance. I was KICKING both of their butts on the training. Ruth was worrying she would be too slow. Zack was concerned that he wouldn't ever get out to at least get his legs in condition once or twice before the big day.

Then came race day.

I am so incredibly slow. Thank goodness both of them didn't criticize me during the run. Luckily, Ruth was willing to hang back with me and run while Zack zoomed ahead.

We all finished and had a great time. I can honestly say that both Zack and I didn't come from a "fitness family". So this was really special to do this as a team. I am still jogging at the gym, but it is definitely not as much fun as it was with them!


Did I mention it was the 1st Annual Dog Jog 5K?
Got to love Pennsylvania... hilarious!






2 comments:

Megan said...

Awesome guys-I'll run a 5K with you...

Ann M said...

Way to go Runner Girl II (Ruth being Runner Girl I)!!!!