Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bye Bye Lunch Rock




Awesome Sunday in Central PA! Absolutely beautiful weather (it topped out at a comfortable 77 degrees...on August 3rd!)

Decided to go on a bit of an adventure today to Poe Paddy State Park. One of the things we like best about living in State College is the fact that there are 6 or 7 state parks and 2 state forests within an hour of our house. Poe Paddy is nearly an hour away, mostly because it's deep in a valley that is only accessible by dirt roads. But it's well worth the drive.

Poe Paddy State Park is located at the confluence of Big Poe Creek and Penns Creek, with camping sites on both sides. But there is a hiking trail that goes over an old rail bridge across the creek and then through a tunnel. Super cool (and pretty scary for the kids since the tunnel is 50 yards long and is PITCH BLACK inside.) So we brought our lunches with us on the hike, and found a big rock on the shore to sit and eat our PB&Js. Sweet spot!

As we're walking up the trail away from the creek, CJ say, "Bye bye lunch rock." And of course Alexander has to chime in, lower lip protruding, with, "I'm going to miss the lunch rock." Brilliant!

Anyway, it was a great day to be alive.

2 comments:

Ann M said...

Okay, now Aunt Ann is sad. (1) I don't live close enough to go along on these super hike/lunch adventures, and (2) Alexander's "I'm going to really miss you Aunt Ann" has some how been minimized by the fact that he misses rocks equally as much! LOL

Jessica said...

I am so loving your blog! These photos of your hike are priceless. I would LOVE to eat PB&J in the middle of a river with Sebastian. I'm sure he's throw the sandwich in the river though...he's like that:) Can't wait to see you guys! We arrive in the U.S. on August 16 and stay until Sept 8th.