Monday, September 15, 2008

Finally!

I've been an Aspirational Mountain Biker most of my adult life...there, I said it... I've been into it and out of it since graduating college, but other than a few small adventure races with friends (which were a blast!), mountain biking has been mostly something I think about more than I do.

But, with the move to State College, I was convinced that I would mountain bike more often. I mean, how could I not? Serious trails less than 15 minutes from home...some that I could actually ride my bike to and not have to load up the bike rack and drive to...and more time to get out now that I don't work 75 hours a week?

But alas, I really haven't gotten over the Aspirational hurdle. In an attempt to get over that hurdle, I spent way too much money on a serious bike earlier this year, but I've only gotten it dirty a couple of times. (I have ridden to work more than a few times, which must count for something...) Finally, this weekend, I drove deep into Rothrock State Forest with Ripley and set off on a small adventure.

After a couple of hikes with the family in the general vicinity, I knew about where I wanted to go, but brought along my trusty Purple Lizard map to navigate my way. Bear Meadows is basically a swamp or bog nestled between mountain ridges in the Rothrock State Forest. It's a really cool site to come upon when you're driving through mountains and forests. The family hikes here frequently because it's relatively flat, although we always have to reassure Alexander that there aren't any bears in Bear Meadows (we hope!).

Anyway, I got in about an 8 mile ride, which doesn't seem very long, except that there were two major climbs, and I'm not used to climbing for 30 minutes straight...

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped on my cell phone camera during a snack and water break overlooking Bear Meadows. Not great photos, but at least I can prove that I climbed a mountain (I parked on the same level as the Meadows in the background). Next time I'll take a real camera. And unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pics of Ripley loving life.





I did stop several times along the way, mostly to make sure Ripley didn't pass out. Funny thing is that she probably liked the uphills more than the downhills. On the uphills, I am pedaling my ass off (slowly) and she gets to explore. On the downhills, I am hanging out enjoying the break and she is on an all out sprint trying to keep up. I don't think she has ever sprinted for 15 minutes straight like that.

Needless to say, Ripley was exhausted, and my legs were dog tired when we finished the loop (see what I did there?).

2 comments:

Steph said...

Obviously I am endlessly impressed. Kris is shamed.

Maureen said...

And I am jealous of YOUR athletic endeavors as well. We are quite awesome, aren't we?!