I may have mentioned before that we dislike the options of restaurants in central PA. If I haven't, then allow me to recap. There is no variety. It is all pasta, pizza or bar food. These options are a plus when you are 20-something, poor, college student, but when you are used to the high quality, multi-cultural options of DC, more often than not you are disappointed. Aah the days of Jaleo, Oceanaire, El Pollo Rico, Cafe Asia and Sweetwater Tavern. Excuse me while I drool.
Until you adapt.
As on most Friday nights, I am done with cooking. After a a week of 3 meals a day coming out of my kitchen, I'm cooked. So the debate begins around 4pm as to what and where are we going out to eat. Options are sad. Outback, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday's, The Corner Room (total dive diner), Chili's. All of these franchises with their multi-picture menus make us cringe. But alas, this is what we have. (I know, I know. No need to comment about what I snob I am. It is fully recognized.)
Tonight I wanted bar food. Burger, wings, beer. Back in the college days, we loved Champs. A typical sports bar with more TVs then a BestBuy and food that only tastes great because the beer is cold and cheap. So off we went with the kids in tow.
WHAT A GREAT PLACE! They have a TV on every table. After getting the remote, we switched on SpongeBob and enjoyed a delightful night out. It was almost cheaper than a babysitter. The kids were mesmerized and eating, while Zack and I enjoyed adult conversation, beer and wings.
I think we will go back. At least after we consult what's on the Nickelodeon Channel.
3 comments:
TIME OUT-
first Champs is great- I dreamed about the Tommy LaSorda sandwich at leasts 4 times while I was pregnant. Ok fine I probably dreamed about it last week too.
TIME IN-
Haven't you been to Zola??? www.zolabistro.com
Sorry Zach. We did a good job of raising a child with very expensive taste. At the age of 8 she wanted to eat at restaurants that had white linen table cloths, but she is a classy Lady.
Champs is great if you want a night out like that! What a fantastic idea.
I (and I am probably the only one in town) think Zola's is over-rated. I'd much prefer a cold beer and cheap eats anyday, especially with kids!!
Post a Comment