Thursday, February 26, 2009

Talking about Lent

I took the kids to Ash Wednesday service yesterday. I haven't been to Ash Wednesday since high school. But since we started going to church pretty regularly, I thought it would be nice to attend. I mean, I would already be there to pick Alexander up from preschool, so what the heck?

There were only two minor drawbacks. It was at 12:15 (hungry kids don't make for quiet, calm kids) and there was not a childcare room (which is where we stuff the kids during Sunday church). Okay, I can handle this. I am SUPER MOM.

After picking up Alexander from preschool, I bribed them both with some McDonald's and then let them bring the happy meal toy into church. I'll just see how long we last. If they get too antsy, and I get too frustrated, we'll bolt.

Good news! The kids did great. They played with the little ponys and colored for the entire time. I was thrilled.

Alexander-The-Curious had a few questions about all of this church-stuff.

Going to get ashes, I said, "We are going to go get some dust on our foreheads now"

Alexander: "Why?"

me: "uhhh.... well, it is to show that we are part of God's family." (whoosh, that was simple and sweet.)


On the way back from communion, he wanted to know what I got from the Pastor that he wasn't allowed to have.
Alexander: "Is it gum?"

I whispered, "it is just a little bread dipped in wine"

Then we got back to the pew and he said to me, "Why do you get that?"

me: "It is to remind us that Jesus died for us so that we can all go to heaven."

Alexander -- SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED -- "Jesus is DEAD?"

After seeing that face, I am sure that God's heart melted too. I gave my boy an enormous hug and then we had a nice little chat about all those bible stories we have read.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is God dead? Well Jean you did a great job and you are super Mom. I love the fact you are brave enough to take the kids to church. Church should be part of there life, it was part of yours and even if you took a few years off you are back. That makes your parents feel like they did something right. We love your stories. Mom

Ann M said...

What a sweet story. That is why God loves all the little children, they are pure of heart!

Kristopher said...

AWwwwww. I just adore that Alexander has the MOST inquisitive mind! He's totally awesome.
--Steph, not Kris I'm too lazy to log him out.

Susie PSU said...

As a witness to their Most Excellent Behavior, I must commend you. I was impressed with how quietly they played with their pony toys. Must have had an incredible teacher last year, that's all I can say...!!

(Feeling valued, yet still underpaid)

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked in in a while but was eating some toast and checking some blogs. That story was adorable- one I will repeat to my family. So cute Jean!
-Lyda